Hey guys! How are y’all doing?
I am excitedly busy (can I say that like that? I don’t know. I’m just gonna go with it 🙂 )! The rest of this month and the next are going to be craaaaazy! I’ve got a lot going on, and I hadn’t really thought about how much it was until it just kind of hit me like: Whoa. That’s a lot to do.
First things first. My writing is going really well. I have finished editing chapters one through six of my eleven. Seven and eight (soon enough, hopefully, nine) are in the works as I wait for feedback on chapters five and six- my most recently finished chapters.
Getting feedback has been really great for a couple of reasons.
- There are just some things that I, having read it a million times and being the author of it, wouldn’t notice. Readers know what they like to see in characters. Because I know the characters really well in my head, it’s easy to forget to get it down on paper. Anyone know what I mean? It’s like, “Oh, that’s who this character is,” or “This character would do this.” And then I don’t put it down because I just know it in my mind. Tell me I’m not the only one. It’s really hard sometimes. So getting feedback on points where I could build the character better, or just add in some more detail is extremely helpful.
- It’s helped me realize that there will be people who will read it and enjoy it. There are people it will mean something to. There is nothing better than hearing that someone likes your story, your plot, or your character. Or they relate to something that the character is going through. It is just one of the most exciting things, and I am new to the whole feedback thing! (This is like the first real ‘have a person read through it’ thing for me!) Ahhh, it’s just so awesome!
- It gets me more excited about my story. Gives me a new perspective. I have majorly struggled with just hating my story. It really is hard, because you think like, what if other people hate it too? What if they just have the worst things to say after they read it? What if they don’t read it? What if it means nothing to them? But hearing someone else’s feedback- especially a fellow writer who knows what it’s like to be in your shoes- really helps. It gives a new perspective on your story, really. Getting feedback is seriously awesome! It really does get me excited and motivates me even more to finish.
So anyway, I’ve gotten some feedback on my first four chapters, and five and six are out. I currently focusing on seven and eight. Ten and eleven are done. I just have to fill in the gap.
I’m realizing how lofty the goal I have set is. Now, it wasn’t necessarily so bad when I set it. And if I had the time, it might not feel so crazy a goal. But Life Happens…
I am excited about the things I have coming up. But I certainly have a lot. Things to finish, to prepare for, days I’ll be gone and unable to get any writing done- because even when I do get feedback on all my work, there’s still the final edit!
So, here are some road bumps.
- Finishing school. Just this week alone is going to be crazy, and I was planning to be almost done by the end of the week. But a lot of it will likely be pushed off to next week. This would be my not so exciting road bump.
- I’ve got a skit to learn. This is for VBS. Super excited about it. The thing is, normally, memorizing stuff isn’t too hard a task for me. I used to do plays a lot at my old church. But with everything else going on, I have to put some extra effort into it.
- I am co-teaching a class for VBS. Ok, this is like, really exciting, because I’m a sophomore, I’ve never done something like this before, and I’m doing it with my best friend (also doing the skit with her)! Again, though. Gonna require some time.
- I’m a part of another blog tour. YES!!!! I love these so much. Seriously, I seem to have jumped onto the blogging train (and Instagram) at the perfect time! And not only because of this, of course. I’ve met so many amazing people. Like, who knew there were other Christian, teenage, (some homeschooled, even) writers! It’s been so awesome! But anyway, I’ve got some reading to do for this one.
- My church camp is the week before I plan to publish. (Well, on and a half to two, but not much difference.) Yikes. And ok, clearly I set my goal knowing this. The reason for the goal I set is this: I want to have my book published before I turn 16.
I don’t say any of this to complain. All except for finishing school, I’m completely excited to have these opportunities. I’m simply saying, I’ve got a lot on my plate, and I hadn’t thought about it a whole bunch until, well, I thought about it.
I don’t know if I’ll finish when I plan to. Maybe I won’t have a whole lot I need to change, we’ll see. But I don’t know.
I am very excited though. Even if I don’t finish before I turn 16, I’m getting there. A lot of what I’ve just mentioned is big, and exciting, and I look forward to all of it. Getting behind is ok. Most often, my goals are not met. But it’s good to have them because they push me to finish.
And goals are not the only thing. I have been so blessed and encouraged by the people I’ve met. It’s motivated me to keep at it.
Go follow me on Instagram, if you like (rileyalinewrites)! As I said on there, although I’ve decided to take a break from blogging for a while (until the waters kind of still again), I’m active on there. I’ll fill y’all in on my writing, and hopefully encourage you guys in your writing as well. (I’m also on Pinterest if you want to follow me there 🙂 )
Hopefully once everything has kind of settled down again, I’ll have a lot to talk about! I’ll have my second quarter blog post, a writing update, and hopefully soon to follow, a post about my *published* book!
I’ve got a lot going on, but I’m trusting God to help me through all of it.
If you’ve got any questions, prayer requests, or just want to talk about writing, feel free to leave a comment! I respond to all comments (unless for some reason you’ve got something ugly to say…but that’s never been the case!) If you’re published, leave me a link to your book, or if not, let me know about your WIP. Bloggers, leave a link as well! I hope you all have a blessed week!